Thursday, June 9, 2011

It’s May day for Victor

FLOYD MAYWEATHER will end his self-imposed exile from the ring by boxing Victor Ortiz on September 17.
Mayweather, 34, has been out of action since picking up a unanimous points decision against Shane Mosley in May 2010.

But Money has confirmed he will lace them up again to challenge Ortiz for the WBC welterweight title.

The unbeaten American said: "I am ready to return to the ring and give my fans a fantastic night of boxing by fighting the best out there.

"For me, that is Victor Ortiz. He is the current champion and an extremely talented fighter who showed amazing skills, and heart, in his last performance against Andre Berto."

Ortiz was knocked down twice when he defended his crown against Berto in Connecticut earlier this year.

He was also deducted a point for hitting around the back of the head but still did enough to come out on top after the fight went the distance.

And Mayweather believes a victory against the 24-year-old will show he still means business.

He added: "At this stage of my career, these are the challenges I look for. Ortiz is a young, strong, rising star looking to make his mark in boxing by beating me.

"Like the rest of my opponents, he is going to try to prove that he can beat me.

"I commend him for accepting the fight but Ortiz is just going to be another casualty — the 42nd boxer who tried and failed. Trust me, I will be ready."


Ortiz is confident he can become the first man to defeat Mayweather and destroy any lingering hopes his challenger has of a money-spinning showdown with pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

The southpaw said: "I respect Mayweather because he has been a champion for many years and I know he will be ready, but so will I.

"I'm a strong fighter and I have worked really hard to silence my critics. I'm a world champion for a reason and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon.

"This is going to be a great fight but I will remain a world champion for many years to come."

Mayweather has a love-hate relationship with the American public but the man who defeated Ricky Hatton is hugely popular in the UK.

And the respect he receives on these shores has clearly not gone unnoticed by the man himself.

Mayweather recently tweeted: "My favorite fans in the world are in the UK. I love everyone in the UK. God bless the United Kingdom."


Source: thesun.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment